Overall: 3/5 ⭐⭐⭐
Steam: 2/5 🔥🔥
~QD STORY DETAILS~
Tear jerker: No
Location: Various – Mt. Olympus, The Underworld, primarily Chicago, IL
Character age range: 20s and immortal
Love interest(s): Apollo, Poseidon, Ares, Hades
~QD BOOK INFO~
Kindle Unlimited: Yes
Audible: Apollo is Mine (Book 1) is available – narrated by Stacy Gonzalez, James Cassidy, Rich Miller and Mark Larchmont
Series: Yes – Gods and Monsters
1. Apollo is Mine – released 9/21/18
2. Poseidon is Mine – released 11/13/18
3. Ares is Mine – released 2/5/19
4. Hades is Mine – released 4/22/19
Sex/kink type: manual, oral, penetrative
Possible triggers: Violence, murder, death of a parent, abandonment, rejection
The Quick and Dirty: Elyse is a human with some special powers and is the guardian of the human race (as were her family members before her). She trains in order to defeat demons and monsters but when death himself is released from the Underworld and no one, not even Hades, is able to take him down, Elyse has to dig deep to find who she truly is before the entire city is consumed. Along the way, she gets help from and falls in love with 4 different Greek gods: Apollo, Poseidon, Ares and finally Hades.
I really wanted to like this series. Truly. Especially because I love all things Greek mythology, but alas it didn’t quite do the trick. The final half of the last book saved the series from getting a 2 star from me. Here’s why:
- Elyse is the youngest and only survivor of the Lowe family, a family line that is imbued with Zeus’ power in order to fight off demons and monsters in order to protect the human race. Cool. She’s a bad ass, I dig that. Except, her communication skills suck (she could have resolved so many issues by simply taking a second to breathe before speaking), she’s super stubborn (not in a good way) and she has a gigantic chip on her shoulder. Her overcompensation for her lack of confidence in her abilities really irked me. I had such a hard time connecting with her and it wasn’t until toward the end when she finally realized what she was that she chilled the heck out and became someone who I would want to read about.
- Her best friend is a ****. Like I legitimately wanted to reach into the book and deck her. She was a judgmental, gossipy harpy and I absolutely loathed her character. Even at the end she was super pushy, and time and time again Elyse puts up with her crappy behavior. I loved Persephone though – more Persephone, less Catina!
- Hades is a ****. And again, Elyse puts up with it. It was a series of several hit and runs, wherein they would sleep together, he would do or say something to intentionally insult and hurt her, then she’d end up taking him back just for him to do it all over again. And then when they finally reconnect toward the end, it’s very much so a “oh, my bad, I was only an asshole because I was trying to protect you from me.” And she’s all “Um, I’m not sure… just kidding, I forgive you.” Yeah, no. You deserve better! Dude is a d*****. He did a complete 180 after that little speech so there’s that, but still. I’m not one to quickly forgive that type of behavior, nor am I forgiving of women who tolerate that kind of bull.
- After all that lead up with four different gods to play with, the final scene with all of them together sexually is tepid. The individual scenes were good but as a RH novel, you kind of expect there to be some hot group action and it ended up just being meh.
You’re probably wondering why I bothered to continue reading it if I didn’t like the first book so much. First, I don’t DNF books. I just… I don’t know, I want to give the author the chance to fix things? In this particular case, the series was recommended and I don’t think it was the author’s writing style that bothered me, it was the personality of the characters. I was hoping they would evolve over time. I did, in fact see some evolution over the course of the books, but unfortunately nothing that would save it from being just a ho-hum read for me at best.
Apollo is Mine – Book 1
I’m a warrior. Cursed to fight monsters. Sworn to act as Zeus’ sword to protect mankind.
But I’d give it all up for one last kiss with the god who stole my heart…Apollo.
I never wanted to carry my family’s legacy. But blood ties cannot be broken, and I’ll keep the promise I made my father on his dying bed. Legendary monsters hunt in city streets of Chicago, and my job was to take down the worst.
I’ve trained with Heracles.
Been blessed with super human powers.
What I’ve never done is fallen in love—until Apollo crossed my path. But he isn’t the only god to catch my attention. Hades is here too, and with him comes a darkness that leaves behind a trail of human bodies. Heracles and my gut instinct urges me to destroy this creature, but each step brings me closer to the truth…
Darkness cannot win…or the Earth will tumble into chaos and I’ll lose the god I’ve come to love…Apollo is mine.
Poseidon is Mine – Book 2
I’m a champion. Bound to fight Titans. Sworn to act as Zeus’ shield and defend the gods.
And I’m in trouble.
Apollo’s bright love is consuming, and the dark god Hades fills my dreams with lust and desire. Even though I’m torn between them, the sea god, Poseidon, surfaces to calm the chaos, except I’m falling for him.
I’m living my new life on a sword’s edge, losing part of myself with each passing day. Trying to walk the fine line between my humanity and godhood is proving difficult.
Heracles attempts to help me control my new power, and Ares insists I leap into the fight. All while the darkness is consuming souls with greater frequency. And I worry not even the gods can stop Death.
I’m drowning in Poseidon’s affection…it’s either hold on tight…or be swept away. But either way, Poseidon is mine.
Ares is Mine – Book 3
I’m a Hero. Created to fight Chaos. Sworn to act as Zeus’ spear to avenge Olympus.
And I need to fight harder.
When death comes for those I love, I fight. And despite the radiant love of Apollo and the swelling love of Poseidon, I must find room to embrace war. That means getting close to Ares.
To win a war you need allies you can trust and who trust each other. Apollo, Poseidon, and Ares don’t see eye to eye at the best of times. Throw my deepening love for each of them into the mix and it seems impossible. I need to convince all of them we’re on the same side, and war makes for strange bedfellows.
Then there’s Hades. He might be the key to our success, or the trigger for our doom. But he triggers the best and worst in me, and I can’t help but melt into his darkness.
Can a brooding vicious war god help me to fight this war across multiple fronts. Can the god of war even show love? Ares is Mine.
Hades is Mine – Book 4
I am a Legend. Born to fight Death itself. Sworn to act as Zeus’ thunderbolt against the darkness.
And now I’m mortal.
Despite having Apollo, Poseidon, and Ares by my side I lost. I don’t have any second chances. Ares trained me to be a stronger warrior, Poseidon taught me to be the wisest leader, and Apollo showed me passion to be a glorious champion. Each of them has entrusted me with their hearts, and I have given them mine as well.
And it’s still not enough.
I need to convince Hades, Ruler of the Underworld, to help me. With his aid we stand the smallest chance, the slimmest of hopes. He’s one hot mess of a God and the closer we get the further he pulls away, and the more it tears me apart. But I need to win him to my side, to our side, and make this brooding loner deity a team player too.
Can I even trust Hades with my heart, when I have already lost my soul to something darker?
Bestselling Author, Mila Young tackles everything with the zeal and bravado of the fairytale heroes she grew up reading about. She slays monsters, real and imaginary, like there’s no tomorrow. By day she rocks a keyboard as a marketing extraordinaire. At night she battles with her might pen-sword, creating fairytale retellings, and sexy ever after tales. In her spare time, she loves pretending she’s a mighty warrior, cuddling up with her cats, and devouring every fantasy tale she can get her pinkies on.